San Francisco is a popular and busy city that sees its fair share of car accidents – car accidents that often lead to devastating injuries. If you or someone you care about has been injured by another driver’s carelessness, consult with an experienced San Francisco car accident lawyer right away.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
The fact is that we share our roadways with some dangerous drivers, including:
- Motorists impaired by alcohol and/or drugs
- Distracted drivers (smartphones are a common culprit but are by no means the only type of distraction)
- Aggressive drivers (aggressive drivers generally engage in multiple dangerous driving maneuvers at any given time, including speeding, tailgating, or even road rage)
- Drowsy drivers (getting behind the wheel under the influence of exhaustion is exceedingly dangerous)
- Drivers who violate the rules of the road and traffic laws
Always recognize that some drivers are engaging in dangerous behaviors and proceed with caution and defensive driving whenever possible.
Injuries Common in Car Accidents
Every car accident is different, but there are several kinds of injuries that are common in car accidents, including:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries – Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) often result from head trauma caused by the impact in car accidents. The damages associated with a serious TBI are difficult to overstate. Because the brain is vital to our existence, this type of injury can result in serious cognitive impairments, physical disabilities, and even personality changes. Under certain circumstances, these injuries can result from the whiplash action of the head and neck leading to contra-coup or they can result from direct impact to the head.
- Broken Bones – A broken bone is not only exceedingly painful but also can be slow to heal, and some fractures require multiple surgeries. Further, a broken bone that does not heal appropriately can lead to chronic health issues and even to a permanent disability.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – Spinal injuries can present from forces on the cord and surrounding tissues from collision. These forces can rupture discs that normally act as shock absorbers and can lead to compression of spinal nerves. Nerve injuries like this can show themselves in a pattern that typically tracks the nerve or nerves injured. Nerve injury can occur to cervical, thoracic or lumbar nerves. Spinal cord or nerve injuries can lead to chronic pain. A serious spinal cord injury can lead to permanent paralysis below the site of the damage. Victims of spinal injuries require emergency medical assistance to minimize complications, and victims may be hospitalized for some time.
- Burns, Cuts, and Abrasions – The burns, cuts, and abrasions associated with car accidents are numerous. We have seen a large variety of injuries all along the scale of mild to severe. Tendons, muscle, skin, bone all can be cut or damaged as well as nerve injuries. Cuts and abrasions are prone to infection and are often extremely painful. These injuries can impair function, such as tendon injuries to the hand or leg. Certain cuts and abrasions can be tragically disfiguring, especially when they are on or near the face.
If you have been in a car accident, seek immediate medical attention. Some injuries are slow to present with symptoms, but early diagnosis is closely associated with improved prognosis. Further, early medical intervention is not only in the best interest of your health but is also in the best interest of your car accident case.
If Another Driver Leaves You Injured, You Need a Knowledgeable San Francisco Car Accident Lawyer on Your Side
Car accidents often lead to serious injuries that can alter the course of your life. If another motorist leaves you injured, the dedicated car accident lawyers at The Law Office of Scott Righthand in San Francisco are committed to skillfully advocating for the compensation to which you are entitled. Your case is important, and we’re here to help. For more information, please do not hesitate to contact us today.
to set up an appointment with one of our experienced lawyers to talk about your accident and potential compensation available to you. You may also email our firm.