Birth Injury Attorney in San Francisco, CA
As beautiful as it is to bring a child into the world, childbirth is also
a delicate medical process. Infants can suffer a variety of injuries before,
during, and immediately following labor that may have
catastrophic consequences for them and the rest of their family. Because of this serious
risk, it is of the utmost importance that doctors, nurses, and other medical
care providers follow proper protocol and standards of care for childbirth
in order to prevent devastating birth injuries.
If your child has sustained serious birth trauma and / or injury, then
the matter should be evaluated to assess whether or not the injury was
caused by medical malpractice. A San Francisco personal injury lawyer
from the Law Office of Scott Righthand, P.C. is ready to help.
Free Personal Injury Consultation
We’ve helped numerous injury victims recover
maximum compensation, and we can fight for you!
Recovering Compensation for Families
Childbirth is a process that can lead to bruising and swelling or edema
that can result from standard medical techniques and proper care. Most
of these injuries have a favorable rate of recovery; however, some of
the more serious injuries, such as hypoxia induced cerebral palsy, are
not easily remedied, if at all. At the Law Office of Scott Righthand,
P.C., we have been able to successfully recover compensation for children
and their parents who have sustained a variety of childbirth-related injuries.
Some of the cases we have handled included a medical professional's
- Adequately monitor the fetal heart rate
- Respond in a timely fashion to fetal distress as indicated on the heart
- Perform a timely cesarean section
- Respond in a timely fashion to uterine rupture
- Monitor amniotic fluid in a postdate pregnancy
- Adequately record the correct delivery date
- Offer the option of a C-section when multiple risk factors are at play
- Monitor the fetus continuously with use of certain drugs during induction of labor
- Monitor the administration of drugs to augment or induce labor
- Treat infection evident in birth mother in labor
- Treat preeclampsia
- Test for fetal well-being where indicated before labor
We also have been able to successfully recover compensation for birth injuries due to:
- Delay in performing emergency C-section
- Vaginal birth after C-section leading to uterine rupture
- Waiting too long to deliver (delaying labor induction can be a negligent act)
- Vaginal delivery with herpes lesions evident
- Incorrect dosage of induction drug being administered
- Incorrect use of forceps or vacuum extractors in delivery
- Breach birth presentation
Ready to discuss your case? We are ready to listen. Complete a
free case evaluation form today.
What Is Cerebral Palsy?
Cerebral palsy is an umbrella term for brain injury leading to a group
of permanent disorders that impede the development of bodily functions
including movement and nerve functions.
Most of the actions outlined above can potentially cause cerebral palsy.
In general, it can be caused by birth trauma, hypoxia, medications, drug
use or other types of activities interfering with the flow of oxygen and
blood between mother and child. Lack of oxygen (anoxia) or reduced oxygen
levels (hypoxia) to an infant's brain are often the actual causes
of cerebral palsy.
There are many other physical, developmental, and cognitive birth injuries
not listed here that can result from medical malpractice and negligence.
The Law Office of Scott Righthand, P.C. can help you determine if you
or your child has been the victim of improper medical care, and we will
take steps to recover just and deserved compensation for those injuries.
Retain Our Qualified Legal Counsel Today
If you are a parent who is grieving the loss of a child or witnessing your
child suffering because of the errors performed by negligent doctors,
nurses, hospitals, or OB/GYNs, you need to contact our firm right away.
We have years of experience handling a variety of personal injury cases,
including medical malpractice situations, and we may be able to help you as well.
It is important that you act quickly within the two-year statute of limitations.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your specific situation, do
not hesitate to seek out our legal help.